Two days back I got an old locked Airtel 3G modem E1731 from my fiend. The locked Aritel modem was lying unused as he switched over to different carrier. I tried connecting it with a Vodafone SIM with 2G data.
It failed by saying “Invalid SIM card or No SIM detected”. It made sense, as why will locked Airtel Dongle work with Vodafone SIM card. I looked up online for some resources and flashing tools to begin the unlocking process. Here is what I found:
Airtel 3G Modem E1731 Unlock Resources
- Custom Mobile Dashboard Software
- Huawei Modem E1731 Unlocked Firmware
- Huawei Modem Imie Unlock & Flash Code Tool Kit
- All Network APN settings
Here is the 15 minutes Airtel modem unlocking process, I did:
Huawei Modem E1731 Unlocking Process
- Remove Airtel Default SIM card and connect modem to computer.
- Close the default Airtel Interface whereas don’t install Airtel Dashboard Setup if you have plugged-in for the first time.
- Run the Custom Mobile Dashboard Software [Resource 1] which will actually remove the default Airtel software from dongle and replace it with custom mobile dashboard interface. (This step will take 7-10 minutes).
- Once done, close the new mobile interface but don’t remove modem.
- Use the [Resource 2] to flash locked modem’s firmware with Huawei Modem E1731 Unlocked Firmware. You will also be prompted to enter a flash code as password to update firmware. Use [Resource 3] to find flash code from the IMIE code. (This step will take 3-5 minutes).
- After update is complete, Mobile Dashboard will prompt Unlock Code with some limited number of attempts. Use [Resource 3] to find unlock from the IMIE code.
- Woohoo! Unlocking is successful. Now, put a SIM card try your luck by setting up valid APN settings. Use [Resource 4] to find appropriate network settings for your carrier. (This step will take 3-5 minutes).
This is not a tutorial but a conceptual theory which I figured out using online resources. So, if you are looking for proper tutorial just Google It!